You’ve heard of wine caves - how about wine caving?
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE to learn more about this new, and one-of-a-kind experience on an Avalon Waterways river cruise on the Rhone River in the south of France that combines adventure - with the exquisite wines of the region.
Lynn Elmhirst, producer and host of BestTrip TV, was one of the first guests to experience the new 'Active & Discovery' excursion that meant donning a caving suit, helmet, headlamp and a little bit of bravery to descend into caves near Avignon, France.
At the bottom of literally hundreds of stairsteps – 55 meters / 180 feet down into the earth, unfolds a 60 km / 40 mile network of caves that inhabitants of the region were using even tens of thousands of years ago.
Today, in addition to spectacular spelunking – that’s just a fancy word for caving – sights like sci-fi worthy formations, reflective pools and cathedral-like spaces, local winemakers have an ageing cave, where they are experimenting with how cave-aged wines differ from those aged above ground.
It’s a once-in-a-lifetime wine tasting and caving experience, and the latest in Avalon Waterways’ Active & Discovery river cruise shore excursions.
And after three glasses of wine and a climb up hundreds of stairs back to the surface, you might be grateful for the helmet! :-)
Start your Wine Tasting Adventure River Cruise!
- Another River Cruise Line to Begin Sailing on the Douro in Portugal
- The Safest Countries for Solo Women Travelers - Plus Other Top Tips
- This Year's 5 Top Adventure Travel Trends - For Fitness Fans and Everyday Travelers!
- What Size Cruise Ship is Right for You?
- Get a Glimpse of Real New Zealand in the Fantasy World of the New Lord of the Rings Series